rebound

dart challenge 5k 2014

Recent EntriesHomeJoin Fast Running Blog Community!PredictorHealthy RecipesAllie's RacesFind BlogsMileage BoardTop Ten Excuses for Missing a RunTop Ten Training MistakesDiscussion ForumRace Reports Send A Private MessageWeek ViewMonth View
JanFebMarAprMayJunJulAugSepOctNovDec
15% off for Fast Running Blog members at St. George Running Center!

Seattle,WA,

Jul 25, 2005

Female

Goal Type:

Marathon Finish

Short-Term Running Goals:

• 5/20 - beat the bridge 8k
  • 5/26 - magnuson series memorial day 5k
  • 6/16 - magnuson series seattle solstice 5k 
  • SUMMER - CNW all comers T&F series 
  • 7/4 - magnuson series summer spirit run 5k
  • 8/18 - magnuson series summer fitness day 10k
  • 9/30 - bellingham bay half marathon 
  • 10/13 - escalante canyons marathon
  • 11/25 - seattle half marathon 

Long-Term Running Goals:

qualify for the 2020 olympic marathon trials in ATL (sub-2:45

Miles:This week: 6.00 Month: 30.00 Year: 2085.50
TypeA8 Test Lifetime Miles: 170.00
Kinvara Test Lifetime Miles: 292.00
K9 Test Purpleberry Lifetime Miles: 287.00
Haunted Phoenix Lifetime Miles: 269.00
K9 Test Arctic Blueberry Lifetime Miles: 250.70
K9 Test Pinkerton Lifetime Miles: 244.00
Freedom Cut Me Loose Lifetime Miles: 252.00
Bubonic Plague Lifetime Miles: 365.00
Orange Splats Lifetime Miles: 219.00
Race: dart challenge 5k 2014 (3.107 Miles) 00:17:54, Place overall: 1
Easy MilesMarathon Pace MilesThreshold MilesVO2 Max MilesTotal Distance

dart challenge 5k. this race is always one of my favorites of the year. there is plenty of competition, as davis xc has an incredibly huge (and deep) team. it's a flat, accurate course and offers a good test of fitness. i have done this race four times, although this year the course was changed due to construction. it was still a flat, fast, loopish course (see here), and the course tool says the difference in estimated flat pace is 5:41 (old course) to 5:42 (new course). so as far as i can tell they are essentially the same.

splits: 5:40, 5:49, 5:53 (last year: 5:41, 5:47, 5:48)

i have been doing a lot of thinking since des news (i'm over it now, but it took a lot of time). i think one of my biggest problems with my racing this year is that i have been trying too hard to repeat or improve upon my 2013 race times and workouts. because of that, a lot of my training has been forced. last year was a lot different. i was coming off a mostly uneventful and somewhat disappointing year in 2012, and i didn't have any expectations for myself. i tried out some new things in my training, and my times naturally came down across the board. that was fun and exciting, but big improvements like that have to taper off at some point.

as i was lurking about on josh EEE's blog recently, he said that it's hard to make big leaps repeatedly. this is what i am learning this year. so many of my workouts have been forced and overly taxing because i was so insecure about seeing splits that were slower than 2013. my entire des news plan was based off of my TOU plan from last year, and i forced myself through a lot of that training. i was solely focused on how the numbers were comparing and i was completely neglecting how my body was feeling (most days, it was not feeling good). the fact that des news went so poorly is not surprising in hindsight. i gave everything i had in training, and i didn't leave anything left to race with (including the basic motivation to run without stopping for sitting/crying breaks). oh my. it's funny how after so many years of running, i'm still making these big mistakes.

i think i took plenty of time off after des news, and i am feeling much better than i have felt all spring/summer. today's result gives me a bit of my confidence back after it was completely destroyed three weeks ago. 

my plan for TOU has been scaled back in intensity. i still have goals for that race, but i am not going to fret and fraz over every little thing as i make ridiculous attempts to compete with my 2013 self. i need to rid myself of that pressure, because clearly i do not do well when it's present. my plan for the next five weeks is to just run to how i feel and let the fitness come (or not). i will not be looking at numbers or even doing the same workouts. i have two more 5ks planned that should be good fitness indicators, and with that i will go race and enjoy my last TOU.

this post is long because james is 606.13 5ks away, so i don't have much else to do.

Night Sleep Time: 0.00Nap Time: 0.00Total Sleep Time: 0.00Weight: 0.00
Comments
From emruns on Sat, Aug 16, 2014 at 12:09:46 from 65.130.145.153

Great race and great perspective! I think it is important to take the pressure off of yourself. I think that you should mostly focus on truly enjoying the experience of running TOU. It's your favorite race and it's been good to you over the years. This could possibly be your last TOU. So I think you should take in every moment of the experience and just let the outcome take care of itself.

From Jake K on Sat, Aug 16, 2014 at 12:11:26 from 174.237.1.132

Good run, and good thoughts in general. I fell into the same trap in the spring - thinking I had to hit X time in training to get Y result (James can explain that equation if it seems complicated). You'd think we'd ALL have this figured out by now, but effective training is so much more than that. Not to get all veganpaleo, but it's holistic, and you have to find the balance among hard work and enjoying the day to day process and not pressing TOO hard to get to where you want to be... you have to leave something for the magic of race day.

Go hawks/braves/falcons/yellowjackets/emory!

From allie on Sat, Aug 16, 2014 at 12:13:52 from 63.228.203.97

emory. lol.

thanks, emily and jake.

From Teena Marie on Sat, Aug 16, 2014 at 12:58:30 from 199.201.101.113

I just think you are stinkin' AMAZING!! (More AMAZING than stinkin' for sure!)

Happy Saturday, Allie!

Congrats on an incredible 5K time and win!!!! :-)

From Sasha Pachev on Sat, Aug 16, 2014 at 13:26:21 from 192.168.1.1

Congratulations on a good performance!

Running follows the law of the farm as opposed to the law of the office. The law of the farm - you can plant, water, weed, and fertilize, that is necessary, but you are not the one who makes the plants grow.

The law of the office - things are expected to happen according man's whims. In truth, if the office is involved in the production of something truly of value, the law of the office does not even work in the office, not to speak of farming or running. Running can be described as a way to understand a farm for those not proficient in the specifics of agriculture.

Unfortunately we live in a world of people that are accustomed to the law of the office and sometimes we pick up their drifts applying it to running. Fortunately, it only takes a race or two for those who are wise to receive the needed reminder.

That said - believing in your potential and setting ambitious goals is good, even though the path to reaching them usually does not lie in a straight line and requires painful lessons in faith and humility.

From Burt on Sat, Aug 16, 2014 at 13:37:35 from 97.117.255.51

What do the Hawks say? Neeeeeneeeeneeeeneee!!!!

From Tara on Sat, Aug 16, 2014 at 16:49:29 from 50.186.87.12

Good perspective and helpful to apply those lessons in my training. Go Atlanta basketball team and Allie:) GlaD you're still a blogger.

From Jenruns on Sat, Aug 16, 2014 at 16:58:45 from 98.202.193.89

Nice job Allie! You are such a strong runner. I'm always amazed by your race times. I think the time off from Des News has been really beneficial both physically and mentally.

You must tell me how you prep for these races. Do you carboload the night before? Eat donuts? Carmel candy?

From Nancy on Sat, Aug 16, 2014 at 18:13:54 from 24.10.168.18

Great race. I really enjoy reading your blogs.

From JD on Sat, Aug 16, 2014 at 18:52:08 from 70.58.36.214

way to go allie!

From Smooth on Sat, Aug 16, 2014 at 21:10:40 from 65.130.110.24

Great race!!! Thanks for sharing your thoughts, wisdom, perspective, growing pains, learning experience, and your awesomeness!!! :). No matter the outcome, you are and always will be a TOU legend/icon/heroine! GO Hawks!!! :)

From Josh E on Sat, Aug 16, 2014 at 21:43:55 from 166.137.209.21

Committed runners are a really good lot. People who are generally good at life. What makes them good, commitment, makes the hard times all the harder. Rather than back off or give up, you double down and lean into the wind harder. I see these mistakes repeatedly on the blog and it's not because people have short memories. You just never know when this pain will turn to your good and you will have a special 4-6 weeks. So it is your excellence that is your only failing.

The perspective you've given me today - this pain will turn to good.

From SlowJoe on Sat, Aug 16, 2014 at 21:59:44 from 107.77.80.123

Great post! I agree with a lot of the thoughts - especially mentally taking the pressure off...making it less scientific with the comparisons. But I do also think that you were in shape to run an incredible, PR-type race and just got crummy conditions. I know you trained in the heat but there's a big difference in being able to run some great 800s or something in the heat, versus running a 3-hour race. Some people did ok but that's more about individual differences; it's not an apples to apples comparison when there are adverse conditions like that. Some are good in heat, some are good at hills, some are good at altitude, some are good at sea level, etc. When you get the conditions that are right for you, you'll run what you're capable of, which I bet will be an OTQ when the time is right.

From josse on Sat, Aug 16, 2014 at 22:54:14 from 71.199.39.138

Dido.

From Toby on Sun, Aug 17, 2014 at 14:28:33 from 74.81.235.5

Thank you for posting the real deal Allie! It is hard to post your daily training and know how many people are reading/watching. That is a lot of pressure!

But you are a rock star to many people! You inspire many people. And it is refreshing to read that you have your ups and downs just like us normal folk. So thank you for continuing to blog and inspire!

From Christie on Sun, Aug 17, 2014 at 16:56:21 from 66.111.126.189

Great post. Love all those thoughts. I agree with Toby too... I am one of those continuously inspired by you.

From Rachelle on Mon, Aug 18, 2014 at 10:19:50 from 199.190.170.21

Congratulations Allie!

I really appreciate your thoughts and am thankful that you shared them. I have learned so much from you since I joined the blog and I truly value your insight. You basically described perfectly what I've been dealing with this year. It sucks! But what I love about you is that you accept it, look for ways to face it, and continue to grow year after year. You rock!

Lastly, although you haven't hit the times you've wanted in the marathon this year I think there have been a lot of positive trends. You've been able to increase your mileage and avoid injury, your 5k times have stayed fairly consistent, and you've become and ATL Hawks fan! That's a lot in one year.

From allie on Mon, Aug 18, 2014 at 10:20:30 from 161.38.221.168

all -- thank you. sasha & josh -- thanks for sharing your thoughts...i'm sure i'll be revisiting this often. jenny -- peach mango juice and early to bed.

From Tom Slick on Tue, Aug 19, 2014 at 03:02:03 from 168.179.159.68

I read this when you posted it but have only got around to a response today. I guess I'm just lazy. Atta girl on you fine showing at the Dart Challenge 5K, your an animal.And thanks for your personal insight into your deepest darkest secrets, they were most enlightening! Just don't get too relaxed and blow TOU off. You deserve a 1st place there!!!

From Snakemoney on Mon, Aug 25, 2014 at 06:45:42 from 68.36.80.254

What an awesome race report....glad I stopped in to read this.

From Nan on Sat, Aug 30, 2014 at 16:18:20 from 50.183.126.167

Thank you for teaching me with your open sharing. Insightful and wise!

I'm sure you'll find new favorite races in the south but I hope this TOU isn't your last.

Add Your Comment.
  • Keep it family-safe. No vulgar or profane language. To discourage anonymous comments of cowardly nature, your IP address will be logged and posted next to your comment.
  • Do not respond to another person's comment out of context. If he made the original comment on another page/blog entry, go to that entry and respond there.
  • If all you want to do is contact the blogger and your comment is not connected with this entry and has no relevance to others, send a private message instead.
Only registered users with public blogs are allowed to post comments. Log in with your username and password or create an account and set up a blog.
Debt Reduction Calculator

Featured Announcements
Google
Web fastrunningblog.com